For those familiar with
Newport, Rhode Island, the "Great Common was established shortly after
the city's founding in 1638. As the name suggests, the land was to be
used "in common" or for community grazing, markets, dockage, water, and
so forth. It began at Equality Square, where Marcus Wheatland Blvd.
leaves Broadway. It ran along Marcus Wheatland before turning just to
the north of Marlborough Street. To the south, it was bordered by Touro
St.. To the east, it was bordered by Spring Street.
John Clarke's home was
situated cattycorner behind the Newport Police Station at the
intersection of Callendar St. and Marcus Wheatland Blvd. A stream, known
as Tanner's Brook, ran along Marcus Wheatland, turning westerly at
Marlborough St. and into the Bay. The land to the north was essentially
a great marsh. Other historic structures and sites are noted on the map.
Credit: John Clarke Society 2011